Monday, January 16, 2006

Able 2 Cable

That's right - today I taught myself how to cable! YAY! Below is a picture of a small swatch I made to practice.












What do you guys think? Not bad for a first-time cabler. Cabling was one of the things that was intimidating to me when I first learned to knit. A few weeks ago, I was watching an episode of Knitty Gritty, and a woman was cabling without a cable needle. It looked easy, so I decided to try it. It was a disaster, to say the least! One of my knitting mentors told me that cabling with a cable needle would be easier than what I had attempted. But I still managed to grasp the concept of how it is done. I went and purchased a cable needle, pulled out one of my knitting books, and the rest was cable history. I can't wait to try this new technique on a project!

Before my cable epiphany, my project of choice was hat and scarf sets, because I also recently taught myself how to crochet in the round. Here are a couple of my first projects:
















I even made the little flower on the hat! I am getting better and reading and comprehending patterns, which is how I was able to create the hat and the flower. Of course, the scarves are just basic garter stitch, and on the orange scarcf I played with different yarns and textures - I used a little fun fur with the burnt orange.

Current project in needles: a double textured scarf and a poncho.

6 Comments:

Blogger make it real said...

SIMPLY AMAZING!! SUPERB!! OUTSTANDING, TORIE!! You betta' go girl!! wow!! your cabling is great for a 1st timer. did you kow how to all along? hmm.....
just playin'....

but 4real DQ, great job. you'll soon be featured in knit.1 magazine.

holla,
kellz

3:27 PM  
Blogger DramaQueen said...

yeah right, Knit.1 is ringing my phone off the hook! LOL! I had to take that little swatch apart like three times! Now the real test is applying that to an actual project...

10:44 PM  
Blogger lady butta.fly said...

great job on the cable. keep it movin. :o)

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, DQ! I told you that it was easy to do! You have come so far in your knitting. It's amazing! Can't wait to see more. Great job!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Erica Bunker said...

Congrats! I'm also a new knitter. You have inspired me to whip out my cabling needles that are just gathering dust!

1:19 PM  
Blogger DramaQueen said...

Erica, it is so much easier than I thought! You should go for it!

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home